Monday 16 November 2015

Finding Alma Dudley Todman’s baptism record

Today I combed through a microfilm searching for the possible baptism records for Walter Todman's children  the clue I was following was based on information that I have sourced from Family Search[i]  that  Alma Dudley Todman was baptised In Christ Church, South Yarra.  According to the State Library Victoria
Catalogue the records for Christ Church, South Yarra were to be found on Film IN 143 & 144.  So far I've managed to review the first of the two films.

The first item on the film was Baptismal Register 1855-1902. I worked my way through the entire item in search of Todman children – none were to be found.  The second item on the film was another Baptismal Register 1902-1946. I worked my way forward from 1902 but it wasn't until I got up to Entry # 1458 that I reached the first only entry for any of the Todmans – that of Alma Dudley Todman.  My heart fell when I looked at the image, there had been a mishap and the photographers hand could be plainly seen unfortunately covering over the second half of the entry, as can be seen below.

Christ Church (South Yarra, Victoria, Australia), "Baptismal Register 1902-1946," Baptismal Entry for Alma Dudley Todman; IN 143, item Number 1458, State Library of Victoria, Melbourne.

Then I remembered the golden rule always look both before and after the entry you are interested in so I rolled the film forward and to my relief the operator had taken a second image.....

Christ Church (South Yarra, Victoria, Australia), "Baptismal Register 1902-1946," Baptismal Entry for Alma Dudley Todman; IN 143, item Number 1458, State Library of Victoria, Melbourne
You can image how happy I was to find it.

I even managed to find extra information that I didn't have before - Alma's godparents.  I have no idea how important these people are or if I will come across them again, but you never know..

Transcription reads -
"Baptism Solemnised in the Parish of Christ Church, South Yarra, in the County of Bourke, Victoria, A.D 1810
...
Number 1458, When Baptised February 6th 1909; When born January 5th 1910, Child's Christian Name Alma Dudley Parents names Martha & Walter Todman Abode 580 Chapel Str, Sth Yarra; Motor Engineer; God Parents Frances Howlett & Matilda Ford
...."

One Film down another one to go  - “IN 144” to see if I can uncover anything else.


[i] "Australia Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZS-4GQ : accessed 12 November 2015), Alma Dudley Todman, 06 Feb 1910; citing ; FHL microfilm 993,809.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message